Tuesday 18 February 2014

Dyspraxia and Housework

Most Dyspraxics will tell you that housework is a pretty serious challenge (honest guv!) but actually a tidy and organised house is really important.

I run a business and I'm a single mum, so  I made a very  rational decision to stop trying to be Super Woman and employ a cleaning company to give me a hand. It actually turned out to be a big emotional journey!
My latest guest blog for Work From Home Wisdom is all about the dilemmas involved in making that decision.

Would you employ a cleaner?

Is it OK to employ a cleaner when you work from home?

Employ a cleaner - Jane BinnionJane Binnion has written for us before about working from home as a disabled or chronically ill entrepreneur. In today’s guest post she describes a dilemma you might share.
In my last blog Work in progress I wrote about my plans to employ a cleaner.
 Working from home was meant to make the house keeping easier, but who wants to use every coffee and lunch break doing house work?


Being dyspraxic I am a bit of a disaster around the house – don’t get me started on how often I can trip over the vacuum cleaner cable. It takes me an hour to clean one room, or I just wander off and do something more interesting half way through!
But it’s one of my biggest stress points because it’s really important that the house is tidy so that I can find things and don’t trip too often.
To employ a cleaner makes total sense. I regularly outsource various aspects of my work that other people can do better and quicker than me. I have no emotional issues about hiring an accountant, a bookkeeper and someone to do my newsletters. I have a milk man and a window cleaner.
All of those are perfectly rational decisions and I like supporting local traders. Continued

Actually, it turned out to be one of the best decisions I have made, I love it. :) 
If this post raises issues for you, please do leave a comment below, I would love to hear your story.

Jane x


No comments:

Post a Comment