Sunday 9 February 2014

Dyspraxia and School

Time after time I hear of children with Dyspraxia falling out of love with school and not wanting to go because they are not understood.

Because we look normal teaching staff often forget that we have additional needs and children with Dyspraxia get told off for things that they can't do - obviously this applies to other conditions too.

So I was delighted when I was pointed in the direction of Oscar Marshall's prize winning story about a day in his life at school.

It is a wonderful story and here it is... 


The Articulator
by Oscar Marshall

Photo of Sir Steve Redgrave handing Oscar his prizeThe morning takes a little longer than usual to fall into place. Memories, tasks and sequences hover and float like leaves spiralling to a forest floor and I need to wait for them to lie still so that I can fit them together to make sense. And like some leaves that flit and dance, some of my thoughts are hard to grasp especially when they are disturbed.
This morning's disturbance comes in the form of new instructions from my mum; "Come on get dressed and take your inhaler and don't forget that it is your review today and your dad and I will be at the school at 11am. I have signed your report card so don't forget to take it or you will be in trouble again." She says all this whilst passing my bedroom door and I have forgotten the first two things she has said by the time she reaches the bathroom. I untangle myself from the quilt and sheet that have twisted and tightened around me during the night and then wait for the room to settle before standing up.
My toe stubs on my school bag and that fires an exciting memory in my brain.
‘Mum! Mum! There is a new boy starting today, I wonder what he will be like? He might be a bit like me because I heard he has been to three other schools before this one!" I am determined to help the new boy to settle in, if I can get to him before the others, then perhaps he will like me and be my friend and then we could hang around together. I lie back down and begin to think about the new boy. I yawn and close my eyes.
"Now class this is Morgan." My teacher, Mr. Johnson, is standing at the front introducing the new boy. He looks scared; in fact he is as white as a sheet. His eyes are darting about the class studying everyone's faces.  I smile, his anxiety is familiar and he reminds me of myself when I start a new school. Mr. Johnson tells Morgan to sit in the work station next to me, which is just what I was hoping he would do.
"Hi," I said with a grin going from ear to ear. "I'm Oscar, don't look so worried." "Why did people snigger when I walked in?"  Morgan asked in a nervous soft voice as he sat down. "Well it's probably because you... well... we are not used to people walking in without bumping into the door frame. What do you think all the bubble wrap is for?  You didn't go anywhere near it, you just looked a bit odd that's all." I spoke gently and tried to sound light hearted, not wanting to make a big deal out of it. Continued 

If this post  raises issues for you, please do leave your comments below, I would love to read your story. 

Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment